The city of Detroit has filed for bankruptcy, but there’s some good news from residents like Andy Didorosi, who responded to the death of the city’s light-rail plans by building his own private bus service, The Detroit Bus Company.
Dark Rye, which devoted its June issue to Detroit, took a closer look inside Didorosi’s company for this mini-doc.
More Detroit reading and viewing, including story picks from the Longreads archive:
1. What Killed Aiyana Stanley-Jones? (Charlie LeDuff, Mother Jones, 2010)
2. Detroitism: What Does ‘Ruin Porn’ Tell Us About the Motor City? (John Patrick Leary, Guernica, 2011)
3. Letter from Detroit (Ingrid Norton, Los Angeles Review of Books 2012)
4. Demolishing Detroit (In Order to Save It) (Howie Kahn with photos by Tim Hetherington, GQ, 2011)
5. Go Ahead, Take a Bath. It’s the Detroit Police (Charlie LeDuff, YouTube, 6 min.)
We need your support to keep growing: Become a Longreads Member for just $3 per month.